Dec. 26th, 2014
It's well written and edited, solidly grounded in known facts but enhanced by the author's clearly marked interpretation of some of those facts to make it more than a dry recital, and I found it a very enjoyable read. If you're looking for something a little more in-depth than the online articles without diving into the full length works, this is an excellent introduction to Turing. I think it will also serve well as a synopsis volume for those who want an outline in addition to the full length studies.
The Kindle Single is currently priced at 99p, and excellent value for money at that price, even if a significant chunk of the stated page count is a preview of another book by the author. It's also available in a paper edition, although I'm not convinced that most readers would find it value for money unless they're die-hard completists, unable to use Kindle format ebooks, or looking for a gift for a Turing fan. There's also an audiobook version.
Alan Turing: Unlocking the Enigma (Kindle Single) at Amazon UK
Alan Turing: Unlocking the Enigma (Kindle Single) at Amazon US
Are you exhausted from Christmas? Sick to death of carols? Wishing people had shopped off your wishlists instead of QVC and SkyMall?
Loose Id has exactly what you're looking for: a no-crowds, no-hassle, shop in your pajamas 25% off sale.
- Customer service that's intimately familiar with the books you're purchasing.
- Customer service that's intimately familiar with the devices you're reading on.
- Customer service that's friendly and knowledgeable and able to provide recommendations.
- 25% off every book, every purchase, including previously discounted titles.
- A great customer rewards program: earn Idcents with each purchase, when you leave reviews, or share books using the 'share this' feature on the product pages, and use them to buy more great books. No separate sign-up required.
- Our VIP Club: get 15% off every book you purchase from us in 2015, for $29.99, and if you become a member before January 1, get $10.00 worth of Idcents free!
- Shopping Loose Id puts more money in authors' pockets, and less in Big Business's. That means they can afford to stay home and write more books!
What I Really Wanted for Christmas Sale
December 26, from midnight PST to midnight PST.
(At least) 25% off all currently available books. No coupons, no exceptions.
Stuff I've already read and enjoyed:
The Wisteria Tearoom romantic mysteries
plus the new one which I haven't read but has just gone in my shopping basket
Misc historical romance
Just go and buy this if you like urban fantasy, okay? Chaz Brenchley's Northern Lights duology is stunning.
Steampunk Jeeves and Wooster pastiche
And another "latest in a series I already read"
I know I've missed some while skimming.
Books. You know you want them.